Re: removal of Gnome2 not working

<kedegrennicolaus@attbi.com> wrote:
> > In short:
> > Removing file-roller2 ...
> > /var/lib/dpkg/info/file-roller2.postrm: scrollkeeper-update: command not
> > found dpkg: error processing file-roller2 (--remove):
> >  subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 127
> > is repeated for a few packages.
> >
> > the final mesage  get is:
> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
> > and in all honesty, I have never seen this before, and my question would
> > be the following:
> > Why does this happen, and what can I do to take care of this issue?
>
> This is happening for the exact reason it claims:
> scrollkeeper-update: command not found :)
> There are four scripts associated with each Debian package:
> preinst,postinst,prerm and postrm.  The preinst script is executed
> before the package is unpacked, the postinst, after it's unpacked; the
> prerm before the files are deleted and postrm after the files are
> deleted.  They're simple shell scripts (well, mostly), and you can read
> them in /var/lib/dpkg/info/packagename.{preinst,postint,prerm,postrm}.
> They handle things like updating config files, starting daemons and all
> sorts of other things.
>
> What's happening here is that the `file-roller2' package is trying to
> run `scrollkeeper-update', which isn't installed any more, presumably to
> tell scrollkeeper that it's removed the file-roller2 documentation.  I'm
> not sure where the bug is here, but you'll need to re-install
> scrollkeeper (or whichever package provides the scrollkeeper-update
> binary) before dpkg will be able to finish up.
>
> > Oh, and one last thing, this problem also prevents me from installing ANY
> > new packages on my system.
>
> [serious snippage]
>
> Ah, yes.  apt doesn't want to install any new packages while your
> current ones are broken.  Once these packages are removed, it should
> work fine.
>
> -rob

Hi All,

Rob, Thank you for your input,  actually I went through the mess this morning,
and I did manage to get to the conclusion that scrollkeeper was the issue.
<blushing red cheeks>
I forgot to mention that the reason I wanted to remove gnome2 was that the
installation thereof failed when installing scrollkeeper.
</blushing red cheeks>
I think I managed to do something not so bright: i read the .prerm and .postrm
files, and deleted the files mentioned in there manually. It SEEMS that my
system has not been affected in a negative way, but I am sure there are a ton
of files files left all over the place.
On my agenda for the morning:
read some man-pages (grep, find, etc.. ), massive cleanup, learn how to
control my software-possesive desires....

Thanks again.
/Nicolaus