Re: adding nodes to a network

iain d broadfoot, 2002-Oct-19 23:53 +0100:
> I have a router with two machina wired in, and my laptop on wireless.
> what kinda stuff do i need to do with dhcpd on the laptop to connect a
> machine (wired) to the laptop and have it as part of the bigger network?
>
> or can i skip dhcp and just iptables it?
>
> i've done a fair bit of googling, so a quick package name or search term
> that'll get me what i need would be lovely.
>
> cheers guys,
>
> iain
>
> ps:
>
> box1-->router<--box2
>        /
>       /
> laptop (wireless)<--box3
>
> box1, box2 and laptop are dhcping from the router.

So, you want to make the laptop a wireless access point.  You could
set up bridging on the laptop (apt-cache search bridge-utils), which I
think would be the easiest way.  Then box3 could use the dhcp services
from the router.  You would need to set CONFIG_BRIDGE=m/y in the
2.4 kernel and use the tools package mentioned above.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User