Re: kernel upgrade

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 08:29:23PM -0700, np rpr wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am a new debian user.. and I will like to how can I
> upgrade my kernel using the debian's .deb .
> One more thing when I am trung to use dkpg I am
> getting error.Is there anyway to upgrade both directly
> throgh internet.
> Thanks,
> np

What error are you getting using dpkg?

To install packages through internet:

Include debian mirrors in your /etc/apt/sources.list. See man
sources.list for details about this.

Then:
# apt-get update
# apt-get install [package_name]

To upgrade your kernel:

# apt-get install kernel-image-[version]

If you are upgrading from 2.2.x kernel to 2.4.x, you will need to
configure lilo or grub to use initrd-img.

After you apt-get update, "apt-cache showpkg kernel-image" will tell
you what kernel-images are available.

--
Jerome