.config and compilation

Hi All,
I just want to understand what is the difference
between the .config and .config.old  files in the
kernel directory. Which one of these is used to make
the final kernel.

One more question if I want to compile my image on one
machine(i686)  and use it another machine(k6-2) what
are the things I am supposed to do:
First of al compile kernel taking i386 processor ot
K6-2...which one will be better

1) copy to /boot/ new image
2) move .config to the destination pc and do make
modules and make modules_install
3)  move system.map to /boot
   : what role does System.map play
4) configure /etc/lilo/conf
5) do lilio and reboot

Is there any config file available which considers
most of the common options so that I do not have to
worry a lot about misconfiguration problem.

Thanks for help,
np