tomcat4, libapache-mod-jk and apache-ssl

he everyone,

so I've been having trouble with an application that requires tomcat
and mod_jk, and I thought maybe the problem might have to do with
encryption (actually I think I was wrong about this, but htat's
another story).  so I uninstalled apache, then tried reinstalling
apache-ssl and libapache-mod-jk. It didn't work; libapache-mod-jk
apparently depends strictly on apache, and won't accept apache-ssl as
a substitute.

Since I don't know that much about this stuff, I thought I would ask

before I try installing libapache-mod-jk  with broken dependencies:
does anyone know if there is a really strong reason why
libapache-mod-jk wont accept apache-ssl?  if there is a good reason,
then I'll either compile from source or keep apache; if there isn't,
I'll try to install from the .deb and see how that goes.

Anyway, thanks for the help as always!