Re: Debian Gamers/Developers

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 06:48:29AM -0400, Jason Stechschulte wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 03:58:09PM -0500, Gianfranco Berardi wrote:
> > So in terms of games that are based on stuff like Pacman, we can
> > basically call it something else and use other objects, and we won't be
> > violating copyright...Unless you're Hasbro, and you think that you own
> > the rights to every Asteroids clone. B-)
>
> I want to do a remake of Odyssey: The Compleat Adventure.  It was
> written by Robert C. Clardy for the Apple IIe.  Does this mean that I
> cannot have it look just like the original as I had hoped?  I want to
> start by doing a remake and then add lots of new things to it including
> a graphics update, but I was hoping to have one version that looks and
> plays almost identical to the original.

What were the copywrite stipulations of this game.  If the game was
public domain, then you can do whatever you want with it.  Otherwise,
talk to the publisher or developer to get permission to do a remake.  As
long as you use no identifiable parts of the game in the remake, you
should be fine.  Controls can be the same, but the story may not be the
same.  IANAL though.

Happy to help,

Edward Guldemond

Key fingerprint:  29FF 2969 A04E F934 3F03
                  4329 BC56 3AA7 2F57 6735