Re: Keyboard and mouse don't work at all in login window after new install

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 22:34, Kent West wrote:
> J Fields wrote:
>
> >Keyboard and mouse don't work at all in login window after install.
> >
> >I just now finished installing.
> >
> >It says this after reboot:
> >"Gnome Desktop Manger"
> >"Username"
> >but my keyboard won't type anything
> >and I can't use alt-F2 to go to another
> >shell to kill X-windows.
> >
> >Only thing I can to is turn the power off to reboot.
> >I can't even rlogin from another machine since
> >I configured this new system as a DHCP boot for internet surfing
> >(my present in house network is 10.x.x.x based and this was
> >the first machine in my plan to migrate to DHCP).
> >
> >I guess it is a problem that I did not know
> >which serial port the mouse is on... maybe?
> >How can I find that out?
> >Maybe the knoppix cd will help in this regards?
> >

> Assuming you're using LILO, at the LILO prompt, type something like
>     linux single
> to boot into single-user mode. If the keyboard works, disable gdm[1] and
> then reboot normally. Now you can troubleshoot the problem.
>
> 1. Several ways to do this; probably easiest for this purpose is to add
> the line
>     exit 0
> as the first executable line of "/etc/init.d/gdm".
>

> Kent

I had that problem for an extended time a while back, until I stumbled
on something I'd tweaked in the /etc/gdm/gdm.conf file - I'd switched on
XDMCP, but left -nolisten tcp on the actual X command, meaning (if I
understand things *now*) that it was waiting for even some echo while
not receiving it. The result was no response on the displays I had
configured.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org