Re: Keyboard and mouse don't work at all in login window after new install

J Fields wrote:

Keyboard and mouse don't work at all in login window after install.

I just now finished installing.

It says this after reboot:
"Gnome Desktop Manger"
"Username"
but my keyboard won't type anything
and I can't use alt-F2 to go to another
shell to kill X-windows.
Oh, yeah, btw, Ctrl-Alt-F[x]; if you're in a graphical screen, you have to add the Ctrl key to the mix.

Only thing I can to is turn the power off to reboot.
I can't even rlogin from another machine since I configured this new system as a DHCP boot for internet surfing
(my present in house network is 10.x.x.x based and this was
the first machine in my plan to migrate to DHCP).

Once you're in single user mode, you can see what IP address has been given (ifconfig); chances are it'll be the same address next reboot.

I guess it is a problem that I did not know
which serial port the mouse is on... maybe?

This might affect the mouse, but not the keyboard.

How can I find that out?

/etc/gpm.conf
and/or
/etc/X11/XF86Config[-4]

Maybe the knoppix cd will help in this regards?

If for some reason you can't log into single user mode, yes. It's also a way to convince yourself that your keyboard and mouse can work in Debian.

Kent