Re: Keyboard and mouse don't work at all in login window after new install

J Fields wrote:

Keyboard and mouse don't work at all in login window after install.

I just now finished installing.

It says this after reboot:
"Gnome Desktop Manger"
"Username"
but my keyboard won't type anything
and I can't use alt-F2 to go to another
shell to kill X-windows.

Only thing I can to is turn the power off to reboot.
I can't even rlogin from another machine since I configured this new system as a DHCP boot for internet surfing
(my present in house network is 10.x.x.x based and this was
the first machine in my plan to migrate to DHCP).

I guess it is a problem that I did not know
which serial port the mouse is on... maybe?
How can I find that out?
Maybe the knoppix cd will help in this regards?

Assuming you're using LILO, at the LILO prompt, type something like
   linux single
to boot into single-user mode. If the keyboard works, disable gdm[1] and then reboot normally. Now you can troubleshoot the problem.

1. Several ways to do this; probably easiest for this purpose is to add the line
   exit 0
as the first executable line of "/etc/init.d/gdm".

Kent