Re: wmaker and MiX problem

on Thu, Oct 17, 2002, Timur V. Irmatov (itvthor@sdf.lonestar.org) wrote:
> Hello, people!
>
> I have debian 3.0 system up and running.  I want to use my windows
> machine as X terminal.  I have installed Microimages X server 3.0.11
> (MiX).  I launch it, then log into my Debian server, set DISPLAY
> variable, then try to run this : xcalc & .. It's OK, it is working..
> Then I go further and launch wmaker ... and it says:
>
> /usr/bin/WindowMaker warning: internal X error: BadAlloc (insufficient
> resources for operation) Request code: 45 X_OpenFont
>         Request minor code: 0
>         Resource ID: 0x400099
>         Error serial: 1200
>
> but I see for some time in my X server window usual wmaker
> environment and then sever shuts down.
>
> windows machine is Windows XP on Celeron 1GHz with 128 Mb RAM.
>
> Your comments are appreciated!

MiX is a dated, old, and incomplete X Windows server.   I'd strongly
suggest something newer.

Fortunately, XFree86 is now ported to Cygwin, and is part of the base
Cygwin install:

    http://www.cygwin.com/

You'll love yourself for installing this.

If you want a detachable remote session, try VNC (I'd suggest TightVNC
on the Legacy MS Windows side, that's what your Debian VNC will be
anyway).

If you need additional X11 features, a commercial package such as
Hummingbird Exceed or WRQ Reflection X is recommended, though these tend
to run several US$100 per seat.

Peace.

   TWikIWeThey: Technology, free software, GNU/Linux, and a little bit
   of everything else:  http://twiki.iwethey.org/