From: Guy Geens [mailto:ggeens@iggyland.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 16 October 2002 4:33 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: firewall options

>>>>> "john" == john gennard <joney@clara.co.uk> writes:

john> There are a number of 'annoying' things with Smoothwall despite a
john> lot of write ups. A ppp profile was partly configured in the setup
john> and my moden was identified as being on 'COM1'. No changes can be
john> made to a profile 'while RED is active' and I can't find how to
john> deactivate the channel without going well back into the

I helped a friend set up Smoothwall for his ADSL connection.

On the first tab, there is a button that allows you to deactivate the RED
interface.

Smoothwall has a reasonably good (but rather terse) configuration manual. It
is separate from the installation manual.

Most of the configuration can be done with a browser.

john> Any suggestions what I should consider doing? Whichever way I
john> proceed, I shall need help in configuring my boxes to 'go through
john> the firewall' to get email, download data and browse etc.

I have a Debian box set up as a router/firewall.

Short configuration guide:
- install a minimal Debian system
- activate IP Masquerading
- install the ipmasq package
- use netstat -a to find all open network ports and remove packages
  you don't need (especially inetd)

Ipmasq will configure masquerading. You should need only a minimal amount of
configuration, unless you want to run some services on the firewall. (The
package uses a set of shell scripts that are reasonably simple once you
figure it out.)

On the internal machines, you only need to set the DNS addresses and you're
set. The firewall will relay all traffic as expected, while blocking
incoming connections.

--
G. ``Iggy'' Geens - ICQ: #64109250
Home: <ggeens@iggyland.com> - Work: <guy.geens@cgey.be>