Re: firewall options

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 19:32, Guy Geens wrote:

> > There are a number of 'annoying' things with Smoothwall
> > despite a lot of write ups. A ppp profile was partly
> > configured in the setup and my moden was identified as being
> > on 'COM1'. No changes can be made to a profile 'while RED is
> > active' and I can't find how to deactivate the channel
> > without going well back into the installation
>
> I helped a friend set up Smoothwall for his ADSL connection.
>
> On the first tab, there is a button that allows you to deactivate
> the RED interface.

I can find no button allowing me to do this - am I missing
something or are you referring to a different version of Smoothwall?
I have v0.9.9-final-p1.

> Smoothwall has a reasonably good (but rather terse) configuration
> manual. It is separate from the installation manual.

I have all of the documentation printed out, but good as it is, in
places it assumes I have knowledge I just do not possess.

> Most of the configuration can be done with a browser.

Access is being made via Konqueror without any difficulty except
I can't get into the Shell. Obviously I haven't sorted java out
correctly - it says 'loading applet' but doesn't do so.

> > Any suggestions what I should consider doing? Whichever way
> > I proceed, I shall need help in configuring my boxes to 'go
> >  through the firewall' to get email, download data and browse
> > etc.
>
> I have a Debian box set up as a router/firewall.
>
> Short configuration guide:
> - install a minimal Debian system
> - activate IP Masquerading
> - install the ipmasq package
> - use netstat -a to find all open network ports and remove
> packages you don't need (especially inetd)
>
> Ipmasq will configure masquerading. You should need only a minimal
> amount of configuration, unless you want to run some services on
> the firewall. (The package uses a set of shell scripts that are
> reasonably simple once you figure it out.)
>
> On the internal machines, you only need to set the DNS addresses
> and you're set. The firewall will relay all traffic as expected,
> while blocking incoming connections.

Many thanks for this - as I said in answer to Rob Weir, I propose to
proceed down this route after sorting out Smoothwall. Learning is
more important to me at present - I still use my Potato installations
for much of my requirements ( there's no network, however,
configured).

Regards,

John.