Re: GPM acts funny

* Larry Alkoff <labradley@mindspring.com>, 2002-10-15 22:15 -0400:
> Forgive me for posting this on two lists but there seems
> to be a lot more activity in debian-users.
> I'm using Libranet 2.7 and have a strange problem.
>
> I can start and stop gpm from the command line with
> gpm -m /dev/mouse -t imps2
> and  gpm -k
>
> However when I try to start and stop gpm from /etc/init.d
> using /etc/init.d/gpm start or stop as root,
> the gpm program hangs up until I move the mouse.
> Then it reports:
>
> init.d/gpm:  /dev/mouse:  Permission denied
> Starting mouse interface server: gpm.
>
> It then works.
>
> Similarly when I boot up or shut down - it hangs in exactly the same way.
>
> In /dev mouse is soft linked to /dev/psaux with permission crw------- with owner root.
>
> In /etc/init.d/gpm I added to the cmdln as follows:
> cmdln=-m  /dev/mouse  -t  imps2
> which is the same as I use with no problems in the command line.

Here's what I have:

andre@mir:~$ ls -l /dev/gpmctl
srwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            0 11. Okt 17:43 /dev/gpmctl
andre@mir:~$ ls -l /dev/gpmdata
prw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 16. Okt 08:45 /dev/gpmdata
andre@mir:~$ ls -l /dev/psaux
crw-------    1 root     root      10,   1 11. Okt 17:43 /dev/psaux

andre@mir:~$ cat /etc/gpm.conf | grep -v "#"

device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=raw
type=imps2
append=" -A180 -2 "
sample_rate=

and in /etc/X11/XF86Config:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/gpmdata"
	Option          "Protocol"              "IMPS/2"
	Option "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
	Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

However I sometimes have to restart gpm twice when X is running,
don't know why.

-Andre