mutt color change with dist-upgrade

Hi,

With Mutt I used to view text as black on white, until I did a dist
upgrade.  Since then mutt gives me black on black, which is impossible
to read.  I believe the problem is that my default color has changed
from white (or very light) to black.  The color section of my .muttrc
file has remained unchanged, and is:

# Color definitions
color normal black default
color hdrdefault red default
color quoted white default
color signature red default
color indicator brightyellow red
color error brightred default
color status yellow blue
color tree magenta default      # the thread tree in the index menu
color tilde magenta default
color message brightcyan default
color markers brightcyan default
color attachment brightmagenta default
color search default green      # how to hilite search patterns in the
pager
color header brightred default ^(From|Subject):
color body magenta default "(ftp|http)://[^ ]+" # point out URLs
color body magenta default [-a-z_0-9.]+@[-a-z_0-9.]+    # e-mail
addresses
color underline brightgreen default

I have tried changing the first line to:
color normal black white
That helps, but the background is more of a creme color than a bright
white color as before, and as my normal rxvt terminal windows are.  I
could not find a place in .muttrc where the default color was set.  Does
anybody know how to set the default color, and to set it to bright white
instead of the creamy white?
Thanks,

Ric