Re: What services are using these ports?

On  0, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro@inetone.net> wrote:
[snip]
> 	Port	Service			Comments
> 	   9	discard			What is this?

See http://www.sockets.com/rfc863.txt - your machine allows
connections on this port and throws any data sent to it to /dev/null.

> 	  13	daytime			What is this?

Try 'telnet localhost 13'.  It tells you the day and the time and
closes the connection.  Probably not exploitable...

> 	  21	ftp			OK

Not really OK.  I'd disable this and use scp instead.  FTP puts your
passwords on the network in plaintext.

> 	  22	unassigned		Is this talkd?

This is ssh.  Leave it there, it is a Good Thing.

> 	  23	telnet			OK

Not really OK.  It puts your passwords on the network in plaintext.
I'd disable it and use ssh (which also provides scp).

> 	  25	smtp			I dont have smtpd running and do
> 					not plan to set up a mail server.
> 					Is this exim listening here?

Probably exim.  Someone else suggested a way to make exim only listen
on the local interface.  I would add that it is worth not uninstalling
exim, since some user agents (such as mutt) need it to transport
out-going mail.

> 	  37	time			This should stay?

Try 'telnet localhost 37'.  This spits the current date and time, as
the numbers of seconds since 00:00 01/01/1900 GMT, as a 32-bit
number.  Probably not exploitable.

> 	  79	finger			This is gone, already.
> 	 111	sun RPC			portmapper?  Do I need this?

Only if you're using NFS or NIS.

> 	 113	authentication		What is this?

See http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc912.html.  Try this:

$ telnet localhost
Username: <yourusername>
Password: <yourpassword>

$ netstat -a | grep localhost | grep ESTABLISHED
<pick out the one that's your telnet connection you just established,
and note the port numbers>
$ telnet localhost 113
3925,6000                              <- You type this
3925 , 6000 : USERID : UNIX :tkcook    <- Server response
^]
telnet> quit
$

You may have legitimate security concerns about this;  it will tell
you which user owns a connection without itself authenticating.

Google is your friend!  I found all the info above with a google
search for, eg, 'authentication port 113' (although I had to go to the
second page of hits for that one).  All of these protocols are defined
in RFCs.

Tom
--
Tom Cook

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au