Re: gdm, log in as root? - solution and new questions

Adrien Verlee wrote:
To use GDM configurator, you must be root. But the session manager
(GDM) says: System Adminstrator is not alloweded tot login as root.
How can I use GDM configurator as superuser?

Adrien

start x session as root.

open xterm or equivalent

type su - at prompt

type root password

start gdmconfig &

this helps.

and in the meantime, i also share his experience. after doing an install of debian 3.0, i decided to add enlightenment, afterstep and windowmaker window managers.

i used dselect to do the job. it went without problem. but, none of the window managers were added to the menu of gdm.

i tried my hand at /etc/gdm/Sessions directory and could get enlightenment and windowmaker on the list (basically copied script files from elsewhere to Sessions directory) but could not get afterstep.

is there any 'automatic' method of adding new window managers to gdm?

and yes, is there any method of changing the display manager? say from gdm to wdm to xdm to kdm etc?

thanx

- sandip