RE: gdm, log in as root?

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 19:10, David Pastern wrote:
> Adrien Verlee said:
>
> To use GDM configurator, you must be root. But the session manager
> (GDM) says: System Adminstrator is not alloweded tot login as root.
> How can I use GDM configurator as superuser?
>
> Adrien
>
> Dave says:  This is a good one...i've got the same issue (had it with gnome
> 1.4 and also newly updated gnome2).  I initially couldn't log in as root on
> kde 2.2.2 either, but can now on kde 3.0.3.  I'd be curious to see how this
> is fixed (if possible).  And why does it do it?  A gnome install on other
> distributions doesn't do it, so I can only presume it is a debian thing.
> Anyone on the lists able to shed some light (silly question that lol).
>
> Dave

This is a "To allow this by default opens the door to too many risks of
major damage" type of restriction. KDE does permit explicitly selecting
root versions of various configuration matters, and gdm does have a
setting in its configuration files that permits root login, but Debian
defaults to gdm having that set to off.

I do keep a gnome-terminal around with a different text colour and
background su'd to root when logged onto my main system account, but I
use it for matters that are *strictly* root dependent, and other
terminals that aren't root are used for everything else. Properly, I
understand that sudo or fakeroot would be an even better solution, as
sudo use is logged as security concerns.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org