Re: gdm, log in as root?

David Pastern wrote:
> Dave says:  This is a good one...i've got the same issue (had it
> with gnome 1.4 and also newly updated gnome2).  I initially

It is solved! I take this way: with gdm on the screen I go to text
mode with ctrl-alt-F1. Then /etc/init.d/gdm stop.
Secondly I start xdm, wich allow to log in as root (I discovered).
There I start a terminal en typed gdmconfig.

Now I can shutdown or reboot without the troublesome ctrl-alt-F1 ->
shutdown -h now (or reboot) operation.
By the way, in the helpfile (panel) there is a figure of gdm with
buttons (Woody), 'my' gdm is menu driven. Why is that?

Adrien