Re: Linksys PCMCIA network card - what module to use?

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 10:24:55PM -0400, Neal Lippman wrote:
> I decided to have a go at getting debian installed on my Thinkpad 770ED;
> mostly I was able to get the initial module configuration to work (a few
> glitches, but I can work those out later). However, until I can get
> networking up and running, I cannot continue the install.
>
> I have a Linksys 10/100 PC card (PCMCIA), but I cannot figure out what
> the correct driver is for this. Anyone have any information?
>
> The card is a mode PCMPC100, for what it's worth.

It matters which version of the PCMPC100, actually.  I've had both v2 and v3
versions of the card, and they use different drivers.  Apparently the v1
used a third driver...  IIRC, the v2 used a tulip_cb driver.  I don't
remember the driver for the v3; I can look it up when I get home if it
winds up mattering.

But in any case, with a recent pcmcia_cs it 'just works'.  There is some
conflict between the kernel PCMCIA drivers and the pcmcia_cs ones.  In order
to get it to work I needed to build a kernel without pcmcia support.
(Turning off pcmcia support in the kernel means that the modules in the
pcmcia_cs package get used, and for many cards that's preferred.)

Jon Leonard