Re: Mailman errors (lockfile problems?)

This one time, at band camp, Stephen Gran said:
> Hello all,
>
> I just installed mailman and started playing around with it.  I have
> added a list, doctored up it's configuration (dump with -o, edit, update
> with -i), and added a user.  I have 2 problems:
>
> The user (me) gets the welcome mail, but nothing I have sent after that.
> It's been about 45 minutes, and I would have though that that was long
> enough.  I see no errors in exim's logs - it pipes off to mailman just
> fine.
>
> The second problem is that I can't get the web administration interface
> to work.  Whenever I attempt it, I get the "We're sorry, we hit a bug!"
> page, and the logs show:
>
> Which seems to be the problem with delivery.  Anyone have any
> suggestions here?  I can see that it's a permissions problem, and:
>
> mail:/home/steve# ls -l /var/lib/mailman/
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     list           18 Oct 14 13:48 locks -> ../../lock/mailman
>
> mail:/home/steve# ls -l /var/lock/       =20
> total 4
> drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Oct 14 14:28 mailman
>
> Hmmm . . . root ownership with no write access for anyone else?  Should
> qrunner and mailman be running SUID root, or do I need to adjust the
> permissions on this directory?  If so, to what - list?
OK - answering my own problems, changing the ownership to:
mail:/home/steve# ls -l /var/lock/
total 4
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     list         4096 Oct 14 16:25 mailman
fixed it, although I think there is probably a better solution.

Steve
--
If I cannot bend Heaven, I shall move Hell.
		-- Publius Vergilius Maro (Virgil)