laptop environment detection

[the short story: if you use whereami or laptop-net for detection and
configuration of your environment, please reply privately with pros
and cons of either package. i will send a summary to the list. thanks.]

given that i now vagabond between 11 different networks and that my
numerical memory for IPs, subnet masks, gateways, DNS, lpd, and SMTP
servers is maxed out, I finally want to get a network environment
detection and configuration automatism in place.

I've looked at switchconf, whereami, netenv, guessnet, intuitively,
divine, laptop-net, and laptop-netconf (are there any others).

only two made it to the final rounds: whereami and laptop-net. i've
listed the reasons why the others failed below.

but between whereami and laptop-net, i am undecided. they both seem to
provide similar functionality, laptop-net detects the cable detected
or not -- something whereami can't do. but otherwise they do very
similar stuff.

i am not too fond of the first impression of the configuration
paradigm of laptop-net, but whereami is also not rocking my boat.

i'd try both, but i think it takes time to be able to judge one better
than the other, and that time i don't have.

so i am looking for someone who's looked at those and made a decision,
and for users of either to give me their good and bad impressions.
please try to reply in private mail, i will summarize the pros and
cons when i am ready to make a selection.

here are the ones i ruled out:

  - switchconf: interesting and simplistic, but has no automation. it
    will probably still remain on my system as it's great for changing
    a set of files according to profiles.

  - netenv: interactive. i don't want that.

  - guessnet: the best approach and philosophy! but i couldn't get it
    working, it would always report eth0-none. if i get around to it,
    i will file bugs and help find the error.

  - intuitively: i could not get it to do dhcp

  - divine: seems like a hack, and the author says it's insecure. it's
    also meant to be run at boottime. my laptop has an uptime of 112
    days ;^>

  - laptop-netconf: i don't like the single script philosophy. this
    one i didn't look at closely though. it seems basic (== good)

thanks.

`. `'`