Re: ADSL, routers firewalls etc.

On 14 Oct 2002, Crispin Wellington wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 21:29, Tom wrote:
> > I have already purchased a Hub for the network which consists of a Debian
> > MySql and Apache server, another Debian firewall box and some Win boxes.
<snip>
> > I'm assuming therefore that the firewall machine is not required.  I had
> > previously thought that a gateway machine such as a firewall was necessary
> > for me to be able to SSH to do remote admin.
<snip>

> If your ISP uses PPPoE (by far the most common) then you wont configure
> the external network card at all, and you will run a pppoe connection
> that will be assigned your IP etc via a PPP connection over the ethernet
> card.
>
> In both cases the modem is not assigned an IP. In PPPoE, neither is the
> Ethernet card. If the modem were assigned an IP (or two, one for each
> interface) it would be called a router (you can get DSL routers).

I share some of this confusion.

If I have a PPoE DSL line, is it possible to access my machine remotely?

If machines behind the machine connected to the modem connect by IP
Masquerading, what access does a remote machine have to an interior
machine?  Can a remote connect by ssh?  What security implications are
there?

I guess this is slightly OT, but my gateway security is strictly
out-of-the-box Debian.

Mark