RE: ADSL, routers firewalls etc.

> My confusion lies in both terminology and setup.  I imagined
> before starting
> that I would need to set up a firewall machine with 2 network
> devices.  The
> firewall would then manage security and masquerading, where
> the external eth
> device will be allocated the static IP  (Non-NAT) I have been
> given by my
> ISP.
>
> However research of the most common Ethernet DSL modems
> (cheapest about $100
>  / £ 66) suggests that
>
> 1) the modem has NAT, firewall etc all built in.
> 2) many manufacturers combine a network hub and modem.
> 3) the modem itself must be assigned an IP not the machine it
> is fixed to????

Whatever they tell you, I agree with your first view.
You are certainly better setting up your firewall yourself, if you want to
know what [not] to filter, etc.
If I were you, I would keep going that way!

About point 3, yes, the modem is the one who is assigned public IP, and
packets are tunneled to your firewall. It is quite transparent anyway, so
your firewall configuration will be straightforward once you have got it to
route correctly :-)
You will find ADSL-Howtos easily around to set up the modem.

If you do not have USB, ask for an ethernet ADSL router. It's a bit more
expensive, but anyway it is better design and more stable afaik.

hope this helps

Vincent