Re: Debian Linux Compatability

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 11:50:19PM +0900, Nick Hastings wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> * Marcus Bendall <marcus@bendall.net> [021014 16:11]:
> > I am considering using Debian Linux, but I have one question. Can you
> > install Debian onto a computer running Windows 98, and keep 98 as the
> > main OS so that it automatically runs on startup, and then run Debian if
> > I want from Windows?
>
> As other posters have stated, you can install and run either. More
> specifically you can _boot_ to either. You can not "run Debian _from_
> Windows."

You might be able to use loadlin to boot Debian from Windows.  Several
years ago I set up a simple script with a Linux icon on my Windows 95
desktop which booted Linux with a couple of clicks.  You can't just
return to Windows on exiting Linux, but will have to reboot.  I don't
know if loadlin is compatible with XP, however.

> This is a very important distinction. You have to shutdown Windows and
> then boot to Debian. However it is possible to run Windows from Debian.
> To do this you need to use some sort of virtual machine like VMware, but
> I guess this is going a little bit further than what you want.

I've used both VMware and Win4Lin.  They are fine for casual Windows
use (Win4Lin is faster, but won't run some applications).  Wine is
getting better all the time, but probably won't meet your needs yet.