Re: Linux: a gentle, growing approach

also sprach ben <benfoley@rcn.com> [2002.10.14.0845 +0200]:
> excellent advice. in fact, i found myself in an involuntary chuckle before i
> got to the end of it. it's great to read that someone whose cunning (welches
> wissen (?)) i respect has the same opinion of dselect and tasksel. maybe the
> banishing of those two crapapples would help demystify debian for many more
> tentative users.

I agree with that. But most users want to bootstrap their system to be
able to do everything immediately. Then tasksel is rather necessary.
And once aptitude goes for dselect, it'll be even better.

The reason I never run them at the start is simply because it's faster
to bring a base system up to meet the requirements of a server's or
a workstation's task (dpkg --set-selections is one), than to strip
a complete system down to the bare essentials. And I never have more
than the bare essentials on my systems...

`. `'`