Re: Kernel Panic was: System is too Big; son of make menuconfig

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 02:12:55PM -0700, Michael Olds wrote:
> Not a bad assumption, a bad problem: I did install from a deb, and the
> source tree etc should be in /usr/src butitaint
> If I am going to get out of this situation without reinstalling, I think I
> need to start with where I am, which is a mystery to me.
> When I just use reset to restart the computer I end up at the kernel panic;
> When I use the rescue floppy I made I end up at the kernel panic;
> When I use the rescue floppy and press shift at lilo start I get the choice
> of linux or linux old. Either one of these without "root=/dev/hda7" leads to
> the kernel panic;
> Either one of these with the "root=/dev/hda7" leads to the kernel panic;
> Using the install CD, "rescue root=/dev/hda7" gives me a login to where I am
> which is text mode with virtually no access to any files on the system
> because "Ext3 is not supported in the Kernel" which I do not think is either
> the new kernel (I did say yes to Ext3 support...but I may have done this as
> a module); or the old kernel, which definately had Ext3 support.

You should be able to mount ext3 partition as ext2, if it has been
cleanly unmounted.

If your ext3 partition was not cleanly unmounted, the e2fsck
application can perform journal replay, so running:

e2fsck -fy /dev/hdXX

on a damaged ext3 filesystem will repair it, allowing ext2 to mount
it.

--
Jerome