Re: Kernel Panic was: System is too Big; son of make menuconfig

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 06:13:44PM -0400, Jerome Acks Jr wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 02:12:55PM -0700, Michael Olds wrote:
> > Not a bad assumption, a bad problem: I did install from a deb, and the
> > source tree etc should be in /usr/src butitaint
> > If I am going to get out of this situation without reinstalling, I think I
> > need to start with where I am, which is a mystery to me.
> > When I just use reset to restart the computer I end up at the kernel panic;
> > When I use the rescue floppy I made I end up at the kernel panic;
> > When I use the rescue floppy and press shift at lilo start I get the choice
> > of linux or linux old. Either one of these without "root=/dev/hda7" leads to
> > the kernel panic;
> > Either one of these with the "root=/dev/hda7" leads to the kernel panic;
> > Using the install CD, "rescue root=/dev/hda7" gives me a login to where I am
> > which is text mode with virtually no access to any files on the system
> > because "Ext3 is not supported in the Kernel" which I do not think is either
> > the new kernel (I did say yes to Ext3 support...but I may have done this as
> > a module); or the old kernel, which definately had Ext3 support.
>
> You should be able to mount ext3 partition as ext2, if it has been
> cleanly unmounted.
>
> If your ext3 partition was not cleanly unmounted, the e2fsck
> application can perform journal replay, so running:
>
> e2fsck -fy /dev/hdXX
>
> on a damaged ext3 filesystem will repair it, allowing ext2 to mount
> it.

If you don't have a rescue floppy that works, can you download
tomsrtbt from http://www.toms.net/rb/. Once you have installed it on a
floppy and can boot from it, you will be able to mount your partitions
and run commands on them using chroot.

--
Jerome