Re: First Time User Of Linux

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 04:51:10PM -0400, StvRodney@aol.com wrote:
> System
> Pentium III 733 Mz
> 512 Mb RAm
> 40GB Seagate Hard drive
> RIVA TNT-2 Model 64 Graphics Card
> Keyboard 105 Keys with extra buttons Internet, Sleep, and Email
> Mouse with Two buttons and a wheel
> Internal Modem card no details known
>
> I purchased Debian 3.0 Woody and installed it on this old system that has
> been kicking around my flat for about a year. (I had a catastrophic hard disc
> failure and could not put Windows XP on my system.) It took all day to do it
> and I still occasionally get a kernel failure when booting. But my mai
> problem is when using xf86config to set up the GUI. It always fails.
> I have exact details about my monitor. As you can see I know the model of the
> graphics card but I am not sure of the Video memory size. I am not sure about
> keyboard type and details. As for the mouse, no idea about the make or which
> port it is connected to. I cannot send log files since the installation also
> failed to recognised my modem card of which I also have no details. Not much
> in the way details. Any help would be greatly appreciated
> Kind Regards
> Steven Rodney

Since you are not sure about all your hardware, as root you could try:
XFree86 -configure

See "man XFree86" for details.

After you try to start X with the resulting config file, check
/var/log/XFree86.0.log to see what X reports about your hardware and
any error that occurred. If you don't get a useful config file, you
could post the errors you are getting.

--
Jerome