Re: First Time User Of Linux

> System
> Pentium III 733 Mz
> 512 Mb RAm
> 40GB Seagate Hard drive
> RIVA TNT-2 Model 64 Graphics Card
> Keyboard 105 Keys with extra buttons Internet, Sleep, and Email
> Mouse with Two buttons and a wheel
> Internal Modem card no details known

what I do on my systems is have X try to detect everything for me..

first though you need to create /dev/mouse, if your mouse is connected
to the PS/2 port then do this:

cd /dev ; ln -s psaux mouse

then run

X -probeonly

(screen may flicker a bit while X does it's magic ..then you should
be returned to the command line)

provided you have all the minimum packages installed you should
be able to start X(after X -probeonly exits it tells you how to
test it). And have the cursor and stuff work. if it does, then
kill the X server with CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE and copy the config
file X created into /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

then, try 'startx'.

these packages are probably the minimum you need to run X:
xbase-clients
xfonts-100dpi
xfonts-75dpi
xfonts-base
xfree86-common
xlib6g
xlibmesa3
xlibs
xlibs-dev
xserver-common
xserver-xfree86

then you need a windowmanager, I use afterstep, and I reccomend
a simple windowmanager such as afterstep or windowmaker in order
to "test" X at least. If X works and the mouse works then you
can always remove it and/or install other window managers or
a desktop enviornment. but for testing, I think it is best for
a minimal setup, less things to go wrong.

and  you should always be able to force X to quit by hitting
CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE

this will send a command to the server to kill the server and
all clients connected to it. If the system does not respond to
this command most likely the system is in a very bad state(crashed,
hung..)

nate