First Time User Of Linux

System
Pentium III 733 Mz
512 Mb RAm
40GB Seagate Hard drive
RIVA TNT-2 Model 64 Graphics Card
Keyboard 105 Keys with extra buttons Internet, Sleep, and Email
Mouse with Two buttons and a wheel
Internal Modem card no details known

I purchased Debian 3.0 Woody and installed it on this old system that has
been kicking around my flat for about a year. (I had a catastrophic hard disc
failure and could not put Windows XP on my system.) It took all day to do it
and I still occasionally get a kernel failure when booting. But my mai
problem is when using xf86config to set up the GUI. It always fails.
I have exact details about my monitor. As you can see I know the model of the
graphics card but I am not sure of the Video memory size. I am not sure about
keyboard type and details. As for the mouse, no idea about the make or which
port it is connected to. I cannot send log files since the installation also
failed to recognised my modem card of which I also have no details. Not much
in the way details. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Kind Regards
Steven Rodney