Re: Mutt help, please

On 2002.10.10 16:27 Thorsten Haude wrote:
Hi,

* Lonnie Sutton <lsutton2@qwest.net> [02-10-11 00:46]:
>I am using woody, and as you can see from this mailing, I can send
>mail from Balsa, no problem.

How do you send mail with Balsa? Do you use your MTA or any function
from within Balsa?

I am assuming that balsa uses my MTA which is exim. I assume this from
looking at /var/log/exim/mainlog, where it shows the mail going out
when I send from balsa. Unfortunately, from a diagnostic standpoint,
it shows the same thing for a mail sent from mutt. Both show the
details and say that the MTA transaction is complete.

>When I fetchmail, if comes in OK, and of course I can read it in
Mutt.
>I can send a mail to myself locally, and the from header looks OK,
and
>of course it is immediately there for Mutt to read.

So the MTA is working at least locally.

>When I try to send a mail through my ISP, the mail seems to go
>somewhere, but never shows up when I fetch the e-mail from my ISP.
Also,
>when I look in the mailq it is empty, and when I check
>/var/spool/exim/input it is empty as well.
>
>So it would seem that Mutt is putting something in a header that
causes
>my sent mail to get rejected by my ISP, and it gets thrown
>away.

My first guess is that you didn't set up your MTA correctly. I don't
use Exim, but I'd expect some question about local systems/domains and
a smart host or relay host. These would be things to look up in Exim's
documentation.

Thanks for your suggestion and help. I will be checking the exim config
file again, and am looking forward to seeing the copy of Auke Jilderda's
exim.conf that he has so kindly offered to send me for comparison.

Thorsten
--
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Like the quotation in your sig!

ljs