Re: virus killers?

On Saturday 12 October 2002 07:22, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * Jamin W. Collins (jcollins@asgardsrealm.net) [021011 15:53]:
> > On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 14:52:01 -0700 Vineet Kumar
> >
> > <debian-user@virtual.doorstop.net> wrote:
> > > * if.frijns@wanadoo.nl (if.frijns@wanadoo.nl) [021011 13:06]:
> > >
> > > Nope.
> >
> > That's just bad advice.
>
> Had my message consisted solely of "Nope." that would have been bad
> advice.  But, in fairness, I did mention that there are other steps to
> take in order to secure a debian machine, but that a virs scanner isn't
> necessarily one of them.

I don't think that it is very bad advice, but I have a different reason for
wanting a virus scanner. I have no Windows machines, so I'm not worried about
getting infected, but those ms viruses cause a lot of hassle, and they steal
a lot of bandwidth. The amount of bandwidth is significant for the
workstations that hasn't got a thick pipe. So, I'd like a scanner on my mail
server that is able to label it as such. So I can filter it out on the
server, make a POP-filter or whatever.

It doesn't need to be very effective, and it doesn't need to be able to catch
the latest virus at day one, but it should relieve me of the constant
annoyance of Klez, Bugbear, I'm still getting Sircam...

I looked at sanatizer, but it seemed to need an external program to catch
those, so it didn't seem to be what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions?

Kjetil