Re: removal of gnome 1.4 in order to update to gnome 2

On Sat, 2002-10-12 at 03:54, David Pastern wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I presume in order to remove gnome 1.4 I should do:
>
> apt-get remove --purge gnome*
> apt-get remove --purge gdm
>
> then I can update to gnome 2 via (after adding addresses to my sources.list
> file of course):
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get install gnome2 gdm2
>
> (apt-get instructions courtesy of Dizma)
>
> Dave

When I saw the subject, I expected something a bit different - that you
had tried the apt-get install and had a list of virtually every gnome
1.4 application being removed in order to install Gnome 2 (you will get
that - clip the list to an editor or the printer, and after you can
re-install what you need - most are able to work in around Gnome 2, but
in order to install it, libraries they currently use will be removed,
requiring the applications' removal - at least until the successor is in
place.)

That said, I have not noticed anybody saying that Gnome 1.4 had to be
removed in order to install Gnome 2 - on the contrary, the two can
*somewhat* run concurrently. KDE 2.2 needs to be purged to update KDE to
the third generation - that may be where the message arose.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org