Re: virus killers?

* Jamin W. Collins (jcollins@asgardsrealm.net) [021011 15:53]:
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 14:52:01 -0700 Vineet Kumar
> <debian-user@virtual.doorstop.net> wrote:
>
> > * if.frijns@wanadoo.nl (if.frijns@wanadoo.nl) [021011 13:06]:
> >
> > > My question is: do I need a viruskiller for the debian PC's, and if,
> > > which one is a good choice
> >
> > Nope.
>
> That's just bad advice.

Had my message consisted solely of "Nope." that would have been bad
advice.  But, in fairness, I did mention that there are other steps to
take in order to secure a debian machine, but that a virs scanner isn't
necessarily one of them.

> Just because Linux and other Unix variants haven't been bombarded with
> viruses, worms, and the like (yet) is not a good reason to ignore the
> possibilty and reality of the situation.

All right, so what would you recommend?  I can't think of a good scanner
that will protect a debian system from viruses.  That's not to say that
things like iptables/snort/tripwire aren't important, but I don't think
that any of them properly fits into the "virus scanner" category.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/