Re: ISPs are blocking port 445?

On 10 Oct 2002 11:24:36 -0500

> On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 14:22, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Oct 2002 18:13:42 +0200
> > Tim Dijkstra <newsuser@famdijkstra.org> wrote:
> >
> > I know it's rather silly to reply on your on post, but I did some
> > more research... It seems that our M$ using friends have some
> > problems. Win2k/XP have a filesharing protocol on 445, and because
> > most users of M$ products are so enlightend to choose a blank admin
> > password, this is a security issue.
> > So apperently some ISP's have chosen to 'protect' their users from
> > these attacks and are dropping these packets...
>
> Cox Cable did the same thing with port 80 soon after Code Red
> struck.  Yet another reason why I hate MSFT and lusers.
>
> At the same time, they decided to be really anal and block port
> 25, too.  Bah!

Time Warner blocked 80 here but they are polite enough to scan 25 for
open relays. From the rejected messages in Exim it appears that if they
find one they will at least inform you before locking it down. (Messages
deleted so I can't copy the text. Appears to be roughly a monthly scan.)

gvl2 (Gerald)
AirBall the Rolling Basket Case (1969 Standard Beetle)
LifeSaver (1974 Bay Window Bus)
http://www.phorce1.com