Re: ISPs are blocking port 445?

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002 18:13:42 +0200
Tim Dijkstra <newsuser@famdijkstra.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is slightly offtopic, but I didn't got a relevant answer in other
> places, so I thought lets ask my debian friends ;)
>
> I had my apache listening on port 445 for https connections, this
> worked perfectly for a long time. Today I got a message from a user
> stating that he couldn't get a connection. I have since then
> reproduced the problem from a few domains. Then I checked everything:
> firewall, apache logs, etc, but couldn't find a problem with my conf.
> Could it be that there are some ISP's that are blocking 445? I found
> some reference to DoS attacks on windows machines targeted at port
> 445..

I know it's rather silly to reply on your on post, but I did some more research... It seems that our M$ using friends have some problems. Win2k/XP have a filesharing protocol on 445, and because most users of M$ products are so enlightend to choose a blank admin password, this is a security issue.
So apperently some ISP's have chosen to 'protect' their users from these attacks and are dropping these packets...

grts Tim