Looking for a special type of editor

A sysadmin friend of mine asks the following:

Anyone ever heard of an application that does the following...

You know how some text editors will number the lines?
Well I need an editor that will add a time stamp at the beginning of each line.

I can certainly see why a normal editor might have problems with this, but do ya'll know of any application (for *nix) that does anything similar? Kinda like a .history file. I am beta testing an application, and I need an easy way of recording (and timestamping) everything I do. Any ideas?

--

Thanks,

Kent