Re: Looking for a special type of editor

    "Kent" == Kent West <westk@acu.edu> writes:

    Kent> A sysadmin friend of mine asks the following:

    Kent> Anyone ever heard of an application that does the
    Kent> following...

    Kent> You know how some text editors will number the lines?  Well
    Kent> I need an editor that will add a time stamp at the beginning
    Kent> of each line.

On every line? And you update this each time you save? I don't really
understand what you want.

    Kent> I can certainly see why a normal editor might have problems
    Kent> with this, but do ya'll know of any application (for *nix)
    Kent> that does anything similar? Kinda like a .history file. I am
    Kent> beta testing an application, and I need an easy way of
    Kent> recording (and timestamping) everything I do.  Any ideas?

It's relatively easy to develop a emacs minor mode to do this. But I'm
not sure what you want. If you just want a history log just add the
word $Log$ some where in the file where you want the log and use RCS.

Cheers!
Shyamal