Re: Looking for a special type of editor

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 02:23:32PM -0500, Kent West wrote:

> A sysadmin friend of mine asks the following:
>
> Anyone ever heard of an application that does the following...
>
> You know how some text editors will number the lines?
> Well I need an editor that will add a time stamp at the beginning of each
> line.
>
> I can certainly see why a normal editor might have problems with this, but
> do ya'll know of any application (for *nix) that does anything similar?
> Kinda like a .history file.
>
> I am beta testing an application, and I need an easy way of recording (and
> timestamping) everything I do.  Any ideas?

I guess both vi and emacs are capable of doing this with some macro.
(sorry, but I can't help more than that. vi and emacs macros are a
little beyond my reach, although I knpw they are very powerful)

Depending on your exact needs you might also be able to use cvs or rcs.

Frank