Re: Java: clean up the memory

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 14:35, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> Hi All !
>
> On my `gtop' window I can see a large number of java stuffs:
> they occupy in total a large amount of memory,
> but they use no CPU (because they are no more there).
>
> I guess that someone may remove them from the memory,
> but I do not know who:
> any idea ?
>

> Jerome BENOIT

With Mozilla/Galeon/Konqueror/Netscape shut down (as this will shut them
down anyhow) - issue "killall -s HUP java_vm". Do this as root if they
are owned by another user or multiple users, and if some of them linger,
escalate the signal from HUP to TERM, ABRT, and in the failure of those,
KILL. Sometimes you will encounter threads that respawn themselves on
signals, so you may need to do something like "killall -s KILL java_vm
&& killall -s KILL java_vm" to actually clobber them.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org