XF 4.1 + Vesa == No Modes found

We have a new station here with an nVidia GeForce4, and since XF 4.1
doesn't support that (yet), I wanted to use the vesa driver. However,
with a standard configuration (vesa as driver, 1024x768, 800x600,
640x480 as modes @ 24bpp, and 1024x768 @ 75 Hz as configuration of the
LCD), X doesn't start with this in the log:

(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Yes, I searched the net, and no, I didn't find anything. Do you have
any tips for me?

void write_thesis(char *subject, char *title} {
  // do something
}