USB hotplug, woody kernel

Hi,

  I have Woody, nominally with USB support (that is, I see /dev/usb),
but I can't get it working.  I tried simply "mount -t vfat /dev/usb
/camera" , plus variations of vfat as auto, and variations of /dev/usb
as /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2.  That didn't work:  it said my camera (a
cheapo) was not recognized as a block device.

  I've been over to linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net, and it looks like I
need to get my hotplugging up to speed.  I have
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/usb/hotplug.txt, but do not have
/sbin/hotplug .  So it would seem *some* hotplugging software is there,
but perhaps not everything necessary

  What do I need to do, Debian-style, to get my hotplugging up and
running?  (some kind of apt-get, plus rebuild kernel?  Or something
else?)

  - Mike

    (PS:  if you do not automatically reply, see the followup-to address
dscpubl@siltec.lt)