Re: USB hotplug, woody kernel

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 03:06:00PM +0200, DSC@Siltec wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I have Woody, nominally with USB support (that is, I see /dev/usb),
> but I can't get it working.

I just got it working this weekend.  Seeing /dev/usb in not enough.

First as has been said, you need the usb-storage module.

I also had to turn on USB support in my BIOS.

> I tried simply "mount -t vfat /dev/usb /camera"

Should this work?  Here is how I did it.

The usb-storage module emulates a SCSI channel, so it
needs SCSI support compiled in too.  Then it creates a psuedo
SCSI conection.  Cat /proc/scsi/scsi to see which one.

Mount the appropriate SCSI dev file.  The tricky part is that you
have to look at all of the SCSI devices and figure out which ones
will get the sd devices and which yours will be.  I had something
like this (I faked the camera line as its not there right now):

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: HP35470A         Rev: 1009
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: UMAX     Model: Astra 600S       Rev: V1.6
  Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TEAC     Model: CD-W54E          Rev: 1.1B
  Type:   CD-ROM
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: <something>      Rev: 1.0
  Type:   USB-Storage

Since the Camera is the first disk like device, it got sda.  To mount
the first partition, I used:

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera

--
Don Reid    Agilent - Imaging Electronics Div. -  Corvallis, OR
Don_Reid@agilent.com      738-3726