Re: how do i create device ppp0 on commandline?

hi shawn!

sorry, i should have been clearer:
superrescue is a rescue-cd, i.e. like a boot/rescue-floppy, but
with 700 megs on it, lots of tools and some luxury: x11/gnome.
it's a boot-cd, which is independent of any hd.
that means upgrading rp-pppoe on the cd is probably not that easy.

dmesg:
PPP generic driver version 2.4.1
PPP Deflate Compression module registered
(quite normal, but no tulip drivers, no nic/eth info)

lsmod:
ppp_deflate
bsd_comp
ppp_async
ppp_generic
(all used by autoclean!?)

though lan-connections work, adsl-dialup is not working:
command #ifconfig<enter> should show ppp0 like eth0, if up
and should do this always, or...? - i think so.

dns-issue?
if ppp0 was up, i could still connect+telnet to static ip-adresses on the web, like the pop/smtp-server of my isp. that's not possible.

at the the moment i'm sitting in front of two computer, a stable linux-server/station and the one i loaded the superrescue-boot-cd on. the mail and the (dynamic)IP-adresses in the mail-headers you are reading, are from the stable computer.

if you have another idea:  great!

el

Shawn Lamson wrote:
Sorry I don't know what superrescue is... Maybe you should just
download the newest rp-pppoe - I have rp-pppoe-3.5 from
roaringpenguin.com.  It will make a pppoe.conf for you.  What is the
output of #dmesg?
Here is mine (the relevant parts), but be aware I have the support
compiled into the kernel, not as loadable modules...  You can also run
lsmod and see if you have the ppp drivers loaded, to me it looks like
you are up and running ok, though, I can ping you (I think that is you
at 213.13.200.110), try to confirm your DNS setting.

#dmesg  ---relevant portions---
Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.15-pre9 (Nov 6, 2001)
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:09.0
tulip0:  MII transceiver #1 config 3000 status 7829 advertising 01e1.
eth0: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC rev 32 at 0xd8800000, 00:A0:CC:DA:AF:86, IRQ
9.
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:0a.0
tulip1:  MII transceiver #1 config 3000 status 7809 advertising 01e1.
eth1: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC rev 32 at 0xd8802000, 00:A0:CC:D3:D5:C9, IRQ
9.
PPP generic driver version 2.4.1
PPP Deflate Compression module registered

P.S. - you can try pinging me at 138.89.32.80

Shawn

--- el <nntps2net@t-online.de> wrote:

thanks a lot for the reply!

situation:
i came to the point, that i need something like superrescue-cd.
there is no default adsl dialup on it, as i know already.
what i know for sure, is that RoaringPenguin-pppoe is implemented on that cd and rp-pppoe/adsl is a user space driver. So adsl-dialup must be available on superrescue.

/usr/sbin/adsl-start
gave
cannot read configuration file /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf

it's not there and no link to /etc/sysconf/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0

either. i have a problem with that, because this should be the
necessary config file for the rp-adsl-scripts. superrescue is built on rh7.2, it looks exactly the same on rh7.3(as well no link) but there it works!
anyway, then i forget the scripts and try by hand:

ifconfig eth0 up
(i have validated sucessfull networking before)
ifconfig ppp0 up
ppp0: unknown interface: no such device
pppoe -A eth0  => works as it should be!
pppd pty 'pppoe -I eth0' => no error-reply
ifconf  => shows still only eth0
ifconf ppp0 up => still no ppp0

that's were i'm stuck right now.
after i read the man pages.
next would be getting any and all doc's about pppoe/adsl and reading
the scripts, but i'm not confident on that.
i would be really glad if you have any hint for me...

el

p.s. should have been sending this msg some hours before, to be as
     instant as you, but i tried and read and tried and ... you
know...

Shawn Lamson wrote:

you can start with #/sbin/ifconfig ppp0 up
But you will probably need to read the ifconfig man pages for more

info

#man ifconfig
Let me know if that is what you wanted... if you are trying to use

an

aDSL modem you may need a package like Roaring Penguin

Point-to-Point

Protocol over Ethernet.  Look at RoaringPenguin.com
HTH

Shawn

--- el <nntps2net@t-online.de> wrote:

hi,

how do i create device ppp0
(not on the rescue-cd-ramdisk per default)
with commandline commands?

thanks for your help!

el

http://sbc.yahoo.com