Re: Ultra 1

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Robert Ian Smit wrote:

> * Bob Hauck <bobh@haucks.org> [04-10-2002 15:59]:
> > Somebody just gave me an Ultra 1 model 170.  Haven't decided whether to
> > install Solaris 9 or Debian (it has Solaris 2.6 on it now but that seems
> > to be in a bad state).
>
> Unless you really need Solaris, I can't recommend it. I was faced
> with this choice myself. I started out with Sol9.

That's my feeling.  I used Solaris 8 on a Blade 100 for a while.  Seems
solid enough, but I ended up installing Debian because I missed the
creature comforts.  I didn't much care for CDE, while the KDE on the Sun
Freeware CD had some annoying problems and I wasn't feeling like compiling
my own.

Then I had to reinstall anyway because I needed a "clean" setup for some
testing, so I went dual-boot.

> Getting either of the BSDs or Debian to run, is trivial if you
> can manage an x86 setup.

Yes, as I said I've got Woody running on a Blade 100.  The Ultra seems to
be pretty similar as far as the firmware and such.

> In the end I should have bought an old x86 machine with 2 nics to
> get what I wanted, but hey I am geek enough to enjoy having a
> Sun.

I can related to that...

--
 -| Bob Hauck