Re: Woody installation: can't find my /dev/hdg to install to.

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 10:19:53PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> By the way, what does bf24 stand for?  Presumably the "24" means kernel
> 2.4, but what about the "bf"?  "big friendly", perhaps?

Correct about 2.4, and "bf" stands for "boot-floppies", the name of the
installation system up to Debian 3.0. (The next release will have a
rewritten, more modular, installer - boot-floppies is very monolithic
and difficult to maintain.)

> I'm _NOT_ prepared to use a mouse-driven GUI installation program,
> particularly one which flickers horribly at 60Hz on my 17" CRT, and
> even worse is the clueless mechanical way they made it into a
> "keyboard-driven" program by simulating mouse movements by arbitrarily
> long repeated <tab> thumping.  In each screen of the installation
> program, the <alt> key combinations were different, sometimes <CR>
> went to the next screen, sometimes it went into a subscreen of the
> current one.

There's a saying that a chicken can install Debian if you put some corn
on the Enter key. I think that kind of thing is definitely an invariant
of the user interface that's worth preserving.

Cheers,