Re: Ultra 1

* Bob Hauck <bobh@haucks.org> [04-10-2002 15:59]:
> Somebody just gave me an Ultra 1 model 170.  Haven't decided whether to
> install Solaris 9 or Debian (it has Solaris 2.6 on it now but that seems
> to be in a bad state).

Unless you really need Solaris, I can't recommend it. I was faced
with this choice myself. I started out with Sol9. All in all it was
a very frustrating experience. The fact that the ISOs offered by Sun
were broken wrt Jumpstart (and had been for quite some time) really
coloured my perspective on the OS. And both the quality and quantity
of documentation is nowhere near the level of Debian and Linux in
general.

Getting either of the BSDs or Debian to run, is trivial if you
can manage an x86 setup.

So try it if you must, but to get stuff just working pick something
else.

> Any idea how much I'm looking at to upgrade the video to something better
> than 256 colors?

I wanted to use my Sparcstation as a router. For this I needed an
extra nic. I got one on Ebay and although the deal was good, it was
expensive all the same.

In the end I should have bought an old x86 machine with 2 nics to
get what I wanted, but hey I am geek enough to enjoy having a
Sun.

Bob