Re: Debian on SunBlade 100? Forget about it.....

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, nate wrote:

> Marlon Ott said:
> > What a deal... $3800 for a brand new SunBlade 100 with
>
> you got ripped off.  new sun blade 100s are going for
> under $900(this was a year ago)

I'm hoping he means a SunBlade 1000, they cost upwards of $3000.  I paid
$1100 for a new 100 with a 15" LCD monitor.  Well, actually, the company
did not me personally.

> > Well folks.... too bad I cannot load Debian. From the
> > support site's "SunBlade 100" string it appears that I
> > should remove my video card (ROTFLMAO), and type
> > mystical undocumented commands at the SILO prompt
> > while praying.
>
> is the blade listed as compadible? it is a rather
> new piece of hardware, even older versions of solaris 8
> are not compadible with it. I am not suprised debian
> would not load

I have Woody running on a Blade 100.  Works fine, except for the floppy.
Something about the floppy being different than other Sun systems.  No
driver.  I'm using it with KDE on a nice LCD monitor and am quite happy
with it.

You need to flash the firmware to boot from a CD, or else do a network
boot, but it installs fine after that.  You also have to select a pc-style
keyboard, as the 100 has a USB keyboard that isn't compatible with the
type 5.  If you google around a bit you can find some HOWTO's on the 100's
quirks, but it is eminently doable.  I have mine set up to dual-boot with
Solaris 9.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking