Re: getting a 3C905B network card recognized

--- Adam Galant <agalant@telestar.com.pl> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Erik Price wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am new to Debian and installation of linux, and am trying to get
> my
> > network card recognized.  It is a 3Com 3905B model (I believe), and
> I'm
> > not sure what steps to take for that.  The installer program didn't
> > recognize the card on its own, but I know that it's in there,
> because
> > the machine boots into windows (on another drive) with no problem.

[...]

> You need to load a module for 3c950.
>
> Run modconf (as root) and choose 'net' category then look for
> '3c59x'. Select this module - it should load with no problem.
>
> Then you'll have network card module installed.
>
> Now edit /etc/network/interfaces (see 'man interfaces' for details on
> syntax). When you are done, do '/etc/init.d/networking restart' and
> you
> have network running.

Adam,    [cc'd to debian-user]

Thanks very much for the advice about what to do.  I didn't know about
the "modconf" program, so I ran it (as root), and selected the driver
you mentioned -- 3C56X.  It installed successfully (according to the
installer).  Then I read "man interfaces", which explained how to write
the /etc/network/interfaces file, but didn't tell me exactly what to
write.  I took a few guesses based on the man page:

auto eth0-work
iface eth0-work inet dhcp

auto eth1-work
iface eth1-work inet dhcp

Because it is an ethernet card, and I seem to remember that "ethX" is
how these are referred to by inet.  However, when I ran the script
"/etc/init.d/networking restart", I got a warning that the device was
not recognized.  I tried rebooting to see if it would get recognized
upon boot, but no effect.

Can you recommend a /etc/network/interfaces configuration or any other
suggestion?

Thanks very much,

Erik