Building distributions based upon Debian

Dear all,

I would like to create smaller distribution from Debian 3.0r0, e.g. one or
two CD's
instead of 7, with a whole lot of basic applications, but not much
redundancy in
these.

Anyone remember the VAR-Linux Debian CD ? I got one from Las Vegas in
1999,
but they were not done very well. I do not want the same thing to happen.

I have been busy searching the Debian web site for documentation, but do
not
seem to find something in the way of 'How to build your own Debian
distro'.

What documentation should I read, and in what order ?

Suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,

Jurgen Defurne